Inspired and played by the great Chet Atkins who’s nickname was the Country Gentlemen. Jerry Reed also played one of these.
This one was build in Japan in 2007 and is part of Gretsch’s Professional Series and is absolutely immaculate. Gretsch is distributed by Fender these days and the quality of these guitars out of Japan are remarkable.
Features include dual High Sensitive Filter’Tron pickups, three-piece maple neck, ebony fingerboard with Neo Classic thumbnail inlays, double mutes (these are classic Gretsch), back pad, gold plexi pickguard, gold-plated hardware and Bigsby® B6G vibrato tailpiece.
The Country Gentlemen came with several innovations like a on/off switch to turn off jack, zero fret, adjustable string dampers, padded back and it has simulated F holes. It is a hollow body guitar without F holes to reduce feedback.
“When I was a little boy, I told my dad, ‘When I grow up, I want to be a musician.’ My dad said: ‘You can’t do both, Son’.”
― Chet Atkins
“I’d rather be a musician than a rock star.”
― George Harrison
- Body Shape: Country Gentleman
- Body Back: Laminated Maple
- Body Sides: Laminated Maple
- Body Top: Arched Laminated Maple
- Body Finish: Gloss Urethane
- F Holes Sound Holes: Simulated F-Holes
- Body Depth: 2″ (50.8 mm)
- Body Width Lower Bout: 17″ (432 mm)
- Body Binding: Multiple
- Number of Frets: 22
- Position Inlays: Neo-Classic™ “Thumbnail”
- Fingerboard Radius: 12″ (305 mm)
- Head Stock Binding: Bound
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Neck Material: Maple
- Nut Width: 1.6875″ (42.8 mm)
- Scale Length: 24.6″ (625 mm)
- Neck Binding: Bound Fingerboard
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Bridge Pickup: High Sensitive Filter’Tron™
- Neck Pickup: High Sensitive Filter’Tron™
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Special Electronics: Standby Switch
- Controls: Volume 1.(Neck Pickup), Volume 2.(Bridge Pickup), Master Volume.
- Hardware Finish: Gold-Plated
- Bridge: Ebony-Based “Rocking” Bar
- Bridge Pins: Double “Muffler” Muting System
- Bridge Cover: Bigsby® B6G Vibrato Tailpiece w/ Gretsch® Logo
- Tuning Machines: Grover® Imperial™ Die-Cast
- String Nut: “Zero Fret” Nut
- Tremolo Arm Handle: Bigsby® Flat Handle
- Auxiliary Switching: 3-Position Master Tone Switch: Position 1. Medium Level, High Frequency Roll Off. Position 2. Switch Out of Circuit, Pickup Wide Open. Position 3. Slight Level, High Frequency Roll Off
The 6122 Country Gentleman is considered by many to be one of the holy trinity of Gretsch guitars, along with the 6120 and White Falcon. I think I would add the Duo Jet to that list as well.
My Beatles Collection