Gretsch G5021WPE Rancher Penguin Parlor Acoustic
I actually been looking for a smaller parlor sized guitar. It is no secret that I love the look and sound of Gretsch guitars. I could not pass up the chance to own one of these when I saw it at Summer NAMM ’17 in Nashville this year. This guitar however is a bit bigger/deeper than what some may call a “parlor” guitar. It is a small bodied guitar never the less. Smaller than all the acoustics I own witch are mostly dreadnoughts.
I have own a Gretsch Rancher Professional series guitar before and it was a jumbo sized. I ended up selling that one (probably a mistake). Gretsch has been making the much larger Rancher White Falcon Acoustic which shares a lot of the looks of this parlor sized guitar.
No one will say that this guitar competes with a Taylor or Martin in quality or sound, but for a guitar at this price point with the “Made in Indonesia” tag it is pretty well crafted and easy to play. Neck is a nice size and comfortable. The fret work and set up is great out of the box. Sounds pretty good amplified also. If you are a Gretsch fan the aesthetics will be instantly loved. If you are new to Gretsch and never saw a White Falcon before the looks of this guitar may be an acquired taste. This guitar with all its gold sparkle bling does make a bold statement. I am personally happy to add it to my collection and plan to play it often and not just on the couch.
My Gretsch Rancher Penguin Parlor Acoustic weighs in at 5-lbs. So it is a bit heavier than you might expect for a small acoustic.
The Gretsch G5021WPE features impeccable Penguin style and the punchy tone of a parlor-size acoustic guitar, making it stand out from others in both aesthetics and tonal quality. Its eye-catching white finish, gold hardware, and Gold Sparkle binding and headstock logos give this Penguin an immediately recognizable look. Its rich parlor sound stems not only from its body shape, but a Solid Spruce top combined with Laminated Maple back/sides and X-Bracing, plus Gretsch’s signature triangular soundhole. The addition of Fishman Isys III System Electronics with an Active Onboard Preamp and Tuner makes on-the-go playing easy. If you’re looking for a unique-looking, great-playing parlor-size, then Gretsch’s G5021WPE is an excellent choice.
- Body: Laminated Maple
- Body Shape: Acoustic Hollow Body
- Bracing: X-Bracing
- Body Binding: Gold Sparkle
- Body Back: Laminated Maple
- Body Sides: Laminated Maple
- Body Top: Solid Spruce
- Body Depth: 4.3750″ (111mm)
- Body Upper Bout: Upper Bout: 9.625″
- Body Waist: 8.25″
- Body Lower Bout: Lower Bout: 13.8125″ (351mm)
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss
- Neck Shape: Standard “U”
- Neck Binding: Gold Sparkle
- Scale Length: 25″ (635 mm)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 12″ (305mm)
- Number of Frets: 20
- Fret Size: Vintage Style
- Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.675″ (42.5 mm)
- Overall Length: 41″
- Position Inlays: Pearloid Thumbnails
- Controls: Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Low Battery Indicator Light, Tuner On/Off Switch
- SPL Electronics: Fishman Isys III System with Active Onboard Preamp and Tuner
- Bridge: Rosewood
- Tuning Machines: Deluxe Die-Cast
- Pickguard: Gold Plexi with Black Penguin Graphic and Gretsch Logo
- Made in Indonesia